Wednesday, January 28, 2009

New layout / known issues

Frodologists!

You may have noticed either the new layout, the increased activity in your RSS feed, or perhaps both. I decided that the old layout was a bit distracting and didn't convey the sense of quality that readers might demand from an unprofessional, irregularly published, and largely irrelevant religious satire blog. A few days of tinkering with things I didn't understand, and voilĂ !

RSS feed

I had to publish the disclaimer and contact and about pages so that I could link to them from the sidebar. They probably don't contain anything you don't already know, so feel free to ignore them.

Reader favorites

There is a link-to-be on the sidebar that will one day take visitors to a list of readers' favorite/favourite Frodlogy posts. If anyone remembers an article which particularly made them laugh, I'd love to know what it is. Thanks!

Known issues

Since I've only been testing the new layout on a separate blog for a couple of days, there are inevitably going to be things wrong with it. Such as:
  • The font in the footer is wrong and I can't seem to change it,  so until I do, it's only going to have a picture. 
  • The page is quite visually intensive which means it might take longer to load on slower browsers. If many people think it's loading too laboriously, let me know by commenting or e-mailing me, and I'll change it.
  • The fancy little drop shadows at the edges of the main window, sidebar etc were acheived through using images that Internet Explorer 6 doesn't support properly. They work on Internet Explorer 7, Apple Safari, and Google Chrome, and they should display correctly in Mozilla too. If they don't show up, again, let me know. If it's because you're using IE6 or below, well, I don't know how to say this, but you should really get a better browser.
If you find anything else, please let me know!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok, well, it looks sweet...but what happened to the ring in the logo? I liked the ring in the logo! You know, the one that was in the O and all. I mean, I read in Google Reader anyway, so it doesn't really matter that much.

FrodoSaves said...

I meant to put that back in while I was making the new banner, but somehow forgot. I'll fiddle around with it over the next few days and see if I can come up with something that looks good. Thanks for reminding me!

Rachel E. Bailey said...

At first, all the pretty of your new layout inspired me to fiddle around with my own blog, make it more me-ish. But now . . . I'm content with my generic-looking blog, lol. There's adventurous, then there's letting my ambitions exceed my talents.

I still think you should add picture of Frodo battling a Kraken. That'd be sweet like bear meat.

FrodoSaves said...

I can honestly say that when I started tinkering, I didn't have a clue what the fuck I was doing. I'm still surprised it came together so nicely.

I just took a look at the picture I drew of Frodo slaying the Kraken. It's honestly not up to scratch, definitely not in the same league as the tangentially relevant octopus. I may have to try a version 2. All in good time. If I'm going to crimesin by drawing a graven image, it had better be a damn good one.

Dani' El said...

Your sidebar is spazzing out.

I don't know if it's on my end or not, but it's all jumbled up.

Shalom,
Dani

FrodoSaves said...

Is it still acting screwy? It looks fine for me, but I'll check it out on some other computers...

Thanks Dani.

Dani' El said...

Frodo-
It's fine now.

Must have been on my end.
Again, the Sparta post?
Very funny! lol! Classic.

Dani

Vagon said...

I found a visual error.

YOUR FACES.

DIE ATHEIST SCUM!!